2 more Maguindanao massacre suspects arrested

by Lore Mae Andong, ABS-CBN News Central Mindanao

Posted at Jun 01 2011 05:55 PM | Updated as of Jun 02 2011 01:55 AM

104 other massacre suspects still at large


COTABATO CITY, Philippines - Two more suspects in the Maguindanao massacre were arrested on Wednesday by police and military troops.

Former Police Officer 2 Tany Dalagan and Rakim Amil were arrested in Sitio Dansalan, Barangay Panadtaban, Rajah Buayan town around 5 a.m.

Authorities said Dalgan is a former police officer in the Sultan sa Barongis (SSB) municipal police station and was a security escort of former SSB Vice-Mayor Sukarno Badal, who was arrested last year in Sultan Kudarat province.

Dalgan has denied involvement in the Maguindanao massacre. Meanwhile, Rakim Amil admitted that he was among the civilian volunteer officers of Ampatuan clan.

He said he only served the Ampatuans for 2 months and left before the massacre took place. "Matagal na akong umalis, bago pa mangyari ang massacre."

Police Superintendent Jacinto Malinao, chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), said they are still extracting information from the suspects.

Malinao also said that they have been receiving reports on the whereabouts of other massacre suspects such as Datu Bahnarin Ampatuan and Datu Ulo Ampatuan, who were reportedly seen in Rajah Buayan.

"Nabalitaan namin na nasa marshy areas sila, pero continuing pa rin ang effort natin against them. Hindi madali ang pag-huli  sa kanila o pagsagawa ng operation because we still have to validate reports, kaya nahihirapan talaga," he said.

Of the 195 people accused in massacre, 91 suspects have been arrested while 104 others are still at large.