NBI files charges vs Abu bandits for Gensan bombing

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 17 2015 11:21 PM | Updated as of Apr 18 2015 07:21 AM

MANILA -- The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday filed multiple charges of murder and frustrated murder against two members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) in connection with the April 22, 2002 bombing of Fitmart Mall in General Santos City.

The Counter Terrorism Division of NBI, with the assistance of the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission (PAOCC), filed the additional criminal complaints against Abu Sayyaf members Khair Mundos, his brother Borhan Mundos, and two Saudi Arabians who are currently at large.

A former Abu Sayyaf member who turned government witness said Khair facilitated the financing of the bombing operation with the aid of the two Saudi nationals and that Borhan Mundos planned the bombing operation.

NBI also said Khair Mundos was arrested by the Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) on June 11, 2014 at Barangay San Dionisio, Paranaque City, while Borhan Mundos was re-arrested when he arrived on November 20, 2014 at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

Both are now under police custody in Camp Crame.

The brothers have previously been charged with various terrorism-related crimes.