Davao City -- About 40 houses were burned to the ground after a fire broke out in Barangay Miranda in the Island Garden City of Samal at around 4 p.m. on Thursday.
The fire spread quickly as the houses were made of light materials and were built in close proximity to one another, authorities said. The officials also said an unattended mobile phone charger may have caused the fire.
Some 63 families were left homeless and the Samal fire authorities estimated property loss at P1.5 million.
The victims were evacuated at a nearby school where Social Welfare volunteers provided them food and promised them assistance and help. - With a report from Hernel Tocmo, ABS-CBN Davao