Puffer fish downs 7 in Davao

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 14 2011 05:08 PM | Updated as of Feb 15 2011 01:08 AM

Seven Badjao natives were rushed to hospital after eating puffer fish that they caught during the weekend.

Rosenda Kaluman said her husband, Mejame, started vomiting and contracted diarrhea last night after he and his neighbors ate 2 kilos of puffer fish that they caught at Matina Aplaya in Davao City.

Doctors said all 7 patients were poisoned after ingesting tetrodotoxin from the fish, which is more dangerous than cyanide. "May mga toxins ang ovaries at intestines nito, 1,200 times ang poison nito," said nurse Leah Flor Suelan.

The downed fishermen were immediately given medical treatment to counteract the poison in their bodies. Report by Michelle Robin, ABS-CBN News