Police fail to find road rage suspect at mom’s house

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 16 2009 07:36 PM | Updated as of Dec 18 2009 02:03 AM

 MANILA, Philippines - Police still failed on Wednesday to find the suspect in the murder of Renato Victor Ebarle Jr., son of assistant secretary Renato Ebarle after searching 3 houses in Quezon City.

Police searched the houses of Marlene Aguilar, mother of suspect Jason Ivler, at Numbers 23 and 63 Hillside Drive in Blue Ridge A Village in Quezon City to serve a warrant of arrest against the suspect but failed to find him.

The warrant was issued by Pasig Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 71.

Police also went to a 3rd house, also in Blue Ridge Village, but were unable to enter the house since it was closed and reportedly nobody was there.

Aguilar, meanwhile, said that she is convinced that a group is holding his son. She declined, however, to identify the group and the supposed motive for holding his son. She had earlier appealed publicly for her son to surrender to police.

Police, meanwhile, said that they believe that Ivler is still in the Philippines.

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) had earlier placed Ivler in their watchlist.

BI Commssioner Nonoy Libanan ordered that the name of Ivler be included in the bureau’s watchlist to prevent the suspect from leaving the Philippines. “The suspect is a flight risk, and poses an immediate danger to everyone and we should take every measure to prevent him from leaving the country,” the BI chief said a statement.

Libanan also directed Ferdinand Sampol, chief of the airport operations division and immigration supervisors at the Ninoy Aquino International Airports, Diosdado Macapagal International Airport Laoag International Aiport, Mactan International Airport and Davao International Aiport, to immediately implement the order against Ivler.

Ivler is the main suspect in the murder of Ebarle whom he purportedly shot on November 18 due to a traffic altercation.

Ebarle was shot to death with a .45 caliber pistol when his Toyota Land Cruiser almost collided with the Honda CRV driven allegedly by Ivler at the corner of Boni Serrano and Ganada streets in Quezon City.

Libanan said Ivler’s name will remain in the watchlist for a period of 60 days unless sooner terminated or extended.

In 2004, the BI also placed Ivler on their watchlist due to another vehicular accident, which resulted to the death of former Undersecretary Nestor Ponce Jr. of the Presidential Assistant for Resettlement.

Ivler, an American citizen, reportedly attempted to leave the country through in 2004 aboard the MV Mary Joy bound for Sandakan, Malaysia, where he was arrestedby immigration agents.

He is the stepson of Stephen Pollard, a consultant of the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The suspect used his stepfather’s car with plate number “20903” when the incident happened.

The Quezon City Police District has already filed criminal charges against Ivler before the Quezon City prosecutor's office. With a report from Jenny Reyes, ABS-CBN News