2-yr-old girl injured by Christmas lights in mall

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 10 2015 05:24 PM

MANILA - A 2-year-old girl sustained injuries on her hand after touching the connector of Christmas lights inside a mall in Quezon City.

According to Tommy Dela Rosa, he and his daughter were waiting for his wife on the second floor of SM North EDSA around 7 p.m. last Sunday when his daughter accidentally touched the connector of Christmas lights.

Dela Rosa said his daughter's body suffered an electric shock and she sustained injuries on her fingers.

Dela Rosa said that while nurses responded to the scene, his daughter still had to be brought to the employee's clinic at the mall's basement before she was given first aid.

He said his daughter was also not immediately brought to the hospital because they still had to wait for the building administrator who had to issue a statement about the incident first.

No ambulance was provided and they were asked to board a taxi instead. This prompted Dela Rosa to just use his own car, he said.

They arrived at the hospital around 8 p.m., he said.

The family of the victim is planning to file a complaint against the mall due to its alleged negligence.

Police on Monday went to the mall supposedly to conduct an investigation, but they were not allowed to enter.

SM, for its part, said the management is looking into the incident to prevent similar accidents in the future.

"The 2-year old girl who sustained injuries on her fingers was given first aid treatment and administered at the mall clinic. She was later brought to a nearby hospital for further examination and treatment, and is now in good condition. Management is looking into the matter to prevent similar accidents from happening in the future," SM management said. -- Reports from Dennis Datu, dzMM; Doland Castro, ABS-CBN News