MANILA, Philippines – Manila residents will be treated to a free live telecast of the boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez on Sunday, the city government of Manila said.
According to Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim, free tickets will be given away to allow residents to watch the fight in covered courts across the city.
“The free showing will give the residents a chance to see the event unfold as it actually does in Las Vegas. ‘Di na tayo kailangang gumastos ng pamasahe papuntang Las Vegas o kaya ay magbayad ng mahal sa mga hotel o restaurant para lang mapanood nang live ‘yung laban,” Lim said in a press statement.
The city’s Parks and Recreation Bureau director Engineer Deng Manimbo said the following venues will provide free viewing:
· Del Pan Sports Complex District I
· Patricia Sports Complex (Flora Street, Gagalangin, Tondo) District II
· Rasac Covered Court (Alvarez Street corner Rizal Avenue) District III
· Dapitan Sports Complex (Instruccion Street, Sampaloc) District IV
· San Andres Sports Complex (San Andres Street, Malate) District V
· Teresa Covered Court (Teresa Street, Sta. Mesa) District VI
City administrator Jesus Mari Marzan said admission will start as early as 8 a.m.
Local officials of Manila have advised ticketholders to go to the designated venues early to prevent any inconvenience.
Lim’s chief of staff Ric de Guzman said non-ticket holders will be allowed to enter only after all ticketholders are admitted.
De Guzman added that admission will be on first-come, first-serve basis.
De Guzman has also been tasked by Mayor Lim to coordinate with Manila Police District director Senior Superintendent Alex Gutierrez to boost security in the designated venues.