Panfilo Lacson back in Metro Manila?

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 06 2010 05:18 PM | Updated as of Jul 08 2010 06:49 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The National Bureau of Investigation on Monday said it is verifying reports that fugitive Sen. Panfilo Lacson is already in the country.

In an interview, NBI Director Nestor Mantaring said the bureau had already received reports that the fugitive senator had returned to the country before the May 10 polls.

"Before elections, nakuha na rin natin ang impormasyong iyan na nandito lang siya sa Pilipinas, pero lahat puro unvalidated pa eh," he said.

Lacson is accused of masterminding the murders of publicist Bubby Dacer and his driver, Emmanuel Corbito, 10 years ago.  He left for Hong Kong last January to avoid arrest after being linked to the Dacer-Corbito double murder case.

While in hiding, Lacson was placed on the Interpol's red notice list.

ABS-CBN sources claim Lacson immediately returned to the Philippines from Hong Kong via private plane. The sources said Lacson has been hiding in Metro Manila and is just waiting for the right time to surface.

Last Sunday, Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda assured Dacer's family that the administration would not give any special treatment to Lacson.

“You can count on President Aquino not to interfere in that case. We in the Executive department respect the independence of the judiciary, so let the rule of law and the judiciary take care of the concern of Sen. Ping Lacson,” he said.