Barricades up vs Parañaque demolition

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 23 2012 10:23 AM | Updated as of Apr 23 2012 09:03 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Residents and vendors of a flea market have started barricading Sucat Road in Parañaque City on Monday morning to protest the impending demolition of structures in the area.

The residents and vendors of Silverio compound held a barricade after the 10-day notice of demolition from the local government lapsed Monday.

The protest action snarled traffic along the road near the settlement area which, according to militant group Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay), is home to some 28,000 families.

Parañaque Mayor Florencio Bernabe, however, said today’s demolition is only meant for illegally-built stalls at a flea market.

Bernabe said there are no plans of demolishing the houses of the residents living in the 9.8-hectare land, which had been expropriated by the city government.

“Ang ide-demolish ngayon, kung pu-pwede iyun munang mga talipapa. Pero yung residential area hindi namin gagalawin yan,” Bernabe told dzMM.

He said that the city government has no plans of expelling the residents from the area. He added the city is constructing several medium rise buildings for them.

“Magtatayo ng MRBs (medium rise buildings) dyan eh, kailagan siyempre may konting explanation sa mga tao na ito ay programa, ayaw nilang maniwala eh,” he said.

“Meron kaming staging area, may property kami sa Coastal Road, bibigyan namin sila ng temporary housing, pagkatapos [ng construction] ng isa o dalawang MRB balik na sila ulit doon.”

Kadamay alleged that Henry Sy-led SM Development Corporation is eyeing the property for a condominium project.

SM had denied this allegation. – with a report from Dexter Ganibe, dzMM