Milk tea poisoning victim stable, to be checked by toxicologist

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 11 2015 12:47 PM | Updated as of Apr 12 2015 12:16 AM

MANILA - The man whose girlfriend died after drinking milk tea believed to be contaminated with poisonous chemicals remains hospitalized but is in stable condition two days after the incident.

Arnold Aydalla, 34, has been transferred to the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) where he will be examined by a toxicologist.

Aydalla and his girlfriend, Suzaine Dagohoy, 28, had ordered a drink at the Ergo Cha Milk Tea House along Bustillos Street in Sampaloc, Manila on Thursday morning.

The owner himself, identified as William Abrigo, 57, prepared their drink. The drink, however, tasted different and the couple complained.

The owner himself took a sip to test it.

A few minutes later, Dagohoy vomited and collapsed. Aydalla also felt dizzy and his limbs stiffened.

They were immediately brought to the hospital, but hours later, Dagohoy passed away.

The owner died as well.

The remains of Dagohoy have been brought to her home province Zambales.

A sample of the milk tea consumed by the three victims has been brought to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be examined.

Results of the FDA tests are expected to be released by Monday next week.

The city government of Manila has already ordered the closure of the milk tea house.

Residents said businesses in nearby milk tea outlets in the area have also been affected by the incident.

Meanwhile, Supt. Marissa Bruno, chief of the Manila Police District (MPD) public information office, said they continue to investigate the incident.

A helper had claimed he saw the owner's son working with some kind of chemical prior the incident. The helper said he was even asked to wash a pitcher that had a foul odor.

"Hindi pa ho natin mababanggit, hindi ho tayo makakapagbigay ng konklusyon... Ito po lahat ay mangyayari pa base sa magiging resulta ng imbestigasyon po," Bruno told radio dzMM. -- Reports from Johnson Manabat, dzMM; ANC