Metro Manila crimes down, police say

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 03 2011 04:13 PM | Updated as of Apr 04 2011 03:31 PM

...but carjacking, murder cases up

MANILA, Philippines – Fewer crimes were committed in Metro Manila in the first 3 months of the year compared to the same period in 2010, police said Sunday.

However, carjacking and murder cases increased, according to police data.

A total of 8,352 crime incidents were recorded during the first quarter of 2011, down by 1,500 from the 9,852 incidents in the same period last year, said Director Nicanor Bartolome, head of the National Capital Region Police Office.  

Of the 8,352 crimes committed, 5,449 incidents (65%) were index crimes and the remaining 2,903 incidents (35%) were non-index crimes, Bartolome said in a press statement. 

Index crimes include murder, homicide, physical injury, rape, robbery, theft, and carjacking while non-index crimes include violations of special laws.  

Of the 5,449 index crimes recorded, 1,599 incidents or 29.55% were crimes against person (murder, homicide, physical injury, rape) while 3,850 incidents or 70.45% were crimes against property (robbery, theft, carjacking).  

In comparison to the crime data in the first quarters of 2010, Metro Manila recorded fewer physical injury, robbery, rape, theft, and homicide cases in the first quarter the year, Bartolome said. 

He said the number of physical injury cases reached 1,238, down by 32.12% compared to 1,824 cases in the first quarter of 2010. 

Robbery cases numbered 1,582 incidents, down by 20.68% from 1,992 cases last year. 

Police recorded 106 rape cases, which is less than the 126 rape cases last year. 

The number of theft cases reached 1,827, a decrease of 13.12% compared to 2,103 cases last year. 

Homicide cases reached 98, a decrease of 11.71% compared to the 111 cases last year.

Meanwhile, carjacking and murder cases slightly increased by 14.47% and 12.94%, respectively. 

23.6 crimes per 100,000 people

The average monthly crime rate for the quarter in review reached 23.61 per 100,000 population, which is lower by 3.92 compared to the 27.53 registered for the same period last year.

Bartolome lauded Chief Superintendent Roberto Rongavilla, Manila Police District chief, for a 43.3% decrease in crimes in his area. 

The MPD recorded 1,053 crime incidents in the first quarter compared to 1,857 incidents last year.  

Quezon City, meanwhile, recorded 1,489 crime incidents or a 30% decrease compared to 2,152 incidents in 2010.  

The Northern Police District had 1,224 crime incidents or a decrease of 21.2% compared to 1,010 last year. The Eastern Police District recorded 431 crime incidents or a decrease of 19.7%, while the Southern Police District recorded 1,252 crime incidents or a decrease of 126 incidents (11.2%). 

"The better climate of peace for the first quarter of 2011 can be attributed to the more aggressive crime prevention efforts", said Bartolome. 

He said Motorized Anti-Street Crime Operatives, bus marshals, tourist police, foot and mobile patrollers, and more police personnel will be deployed in the streets to deter criminals. 

"Our regular review of crime incidents through the comparative crime statistics and the Police Integrated Patrol System programs has given us the bigger picture on how to better address each type of crime. Adjustments are now being undertaken to curb carnapping and murder incidents,” Bartolome added.