MANILA (2ND UPDATE) - A three-year-old boy named Ivan died yesterday after figuring in an escalator accident at the 999 Mall in Binondo, Manila last Monday, February 24.
According to a family friend and neighbor Jennilyn, she was with Ivan and his mother looking at the shoe stalls on the 2nd floor when the accident occurred.
Jennilyn said the boy let go of her mother's hand and played near the escalator.
She said Ivan's mother glanced at him before going back to looking at the shoes.
A few minutes later, Jennilyn said she heard a loud noise followed by some people yelling that a child fell.
She said she was unable to move for about five minutes because of shock. She later found out that Ivan was rushed to a nearby hospital.
Jennilyn said she was told that Ivan's hand got stuck in the escalator and he was dragged to the first floor.
Police, however, said the child's hand did not seem to have been stuck in the escalator floor. However since he was playing at the edge of the escalator, the motion of the floor dragged him down.
Ivan fell into a coma after sustaining head injuries. He passed away in the hospital past 7 am yesterday, February 26.
The mall's owners have provided financial assistance to the family although Ivan's mother admitted that she also shares the blame for what happened.
She said she wishes malls would be safer for kids like Ivan and that this incident will never happen to any family again.
Ivan's parents plan to take his remains to the province where the boy will be laid to rest.