CALOOCAN CITY - Vice-President Jejomar Binay did the rounds of another public market on Monday and ate with his bare hands with common people of this city.
This is the third week of his market rounds since backing out of a debate with Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and refusing to attend a Senate investigation on alleged hidden wealth of the Vice-President's family.
Last week, Binay's primary accuser, former Makati Vice-Mayor Ernesto Mercado, challenged the Vice-President to a debate so the people would know who between them is telling the truth.
Binay's camp, however, rejected Mercado's challenge.
In an interview with reporters on Monday, Binay himself was asked if he has any plans to face Mercado.
The Vice-President just gave a smirk and said: "Wala na, ano ba? Luma na yun."
Binay also defended himself from observations that his market tours can be considered early campaigning for the 2016 presidential elections.
He said he's just doing his job as a public servant.
"You want to say it's campaigning, bakit? What's wrong with what I'm doing?" said the Vice-President.
The Office of the Vice-President also released to the media an eight page affidavit dated November 6, 2014. It had been submitted to the Senate.
The affidavit contains Binay's defense against allegations of irregularities in the construction of the Makati City Hall Building 2. It did not contain explanation on allegations that the building cost was bloated to fund works done on the 350-hectare property in Rosario, Batangas being linked to the Vice-President.
"Initially my intention really was to appear ano, dahil sa merong guarantee, sabi ni Senator Guingona, di ba? Pero yung demeanor nila, malayo yun sa guaranteeng yun, hindi naman magkakaawatan yun, babastusin nila yung opisina ko, di naman ako papayag dun" said Binay.