Palace: Help gov't pick up trash

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 05 2009 06:29 PM | Updated as of Oct 06 2009 02:29 AM

MANILA - Handling the wastes brought by the onslaught of typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng is a "shared responsibility" between the government and the public, a Malacañang official said Monday.

Palace deputy spokesperson Anthony Golez said the public should not depend on their local government units and the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) alone in cleaning up areas ravaged by the floods last week.

Golez also called on the private sector to assist government efforts in cleaning up the mess left by the floods, by helping restore and rebuild their communities.

He also said that the government has given to private contractors the responsibility to collect the garbage, and that the President has ordered these contractors to have more trucks on hand to collect the garbage.

There are mounds of uncollected garbage in communities badly-hit by the floods, such as in Town and Country Village in Antipolo, along Marcos Highway, and in Marikina City. - With a report from Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News