MANILA - Senator Juan Ponce Enrile arrived early at the Sandiganbayan 3rd Division Friday for the pre-trial of his plunder case in connection with the pork barrel scam.
The pre-trial, however, was cancelled after the anti-graft court granted Enrile's motion to reset the hearing.
This, as the Supreme Court (SC) has yet to decide on the motion for reconsideration filed by the Office of the Ombudsman on the high court's decision granting the senator's plea for a Bill of Particulars.
Speaking to reporters before the supposed pre-trial scheduled at 8:30 a.m., Enrile said he and his lawyers are prepared for the plunder and graft cases filed against him.
The senator, who is also a lawyer, even likened himself to a fish being thrown into the sea.
"It's like throwing fish in the sea," said Enrile. "If you're a fish, you can swim in the oceans."
"I've been trained as a lawyer, a trial lawyer, an all around lawyer. I'm not a half-baked lawyer," he said.
Enrile gained temporary liberty last month after posting a P1.45 million bail -- P1 million for plunder and P450,000 for the 15 counts of graft filed against him.
Meanwhile, the Sandiganbayan denied the motion of the alleged mastermind of the pork barrel scam, Janet Lim Napoles, and Enrile's former chief of staff, Atty. Gigi Reyes, to cancel the pre-trial.
Their pre-trial, however, also did not proceed after the court discovered that the prosecution still has not submitted a pre-trial brief, or the list of witnesses and evidence in relation to the cases.
Justice Samuel Martirez lamented that the prosecution's failure to submit a pre-trial brief is causing a delay. The prosecution was meted a P1,000 fine. -- Report from Zandro Ochona, dzMM