Can you be electrocuted while using your cellphone?

By Nina Corpuz, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 17 2013 05:54 PM | Updated as of Jul 18 2013 06:37 PM

MANILA - Can you be electrocuted by your cellphone?

This is the question on everyone's minds after a woman in China died of electric shock after answering her cellphone while it was being charged.

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) said it is possible, although remote.

"It's possible, the electricity coming from the power mains, tuluy-tuloy 'yun, diretso sa phone. Kung walang protection, pwedeng dumiretso sa phone. 'Pag dumaloy sa katawan mo, chances are, mamatay ka," said Edgardo Cabarios, NTC director and electronics engineer.
 
Cabarios added, however, that manufacturing companies make sure their gadgets are safe and have already studied the dangers such as overcharging or overheating, or the possibility of electricity flowing through cables.

What people should be careful of are the fake or substandard chargers.

“Hindi ka sigurado dun," he said.

To be sure, it's better not to use your cellphone while charging, he said.

He also said that water is a conductor of electricity and if a person is wet, this will lower his chance to resist electric shock.

So far, there have been no reports or complaints brought to the NTC regarding cellphones causing electric shock.

Cabarios also disputed a belief that a person who is using a cellphone is prone to be hit by lightning.

"Tatamaan ka maski hindi ka gumagamit ng telepono kaya huwag ka sa mataas na lugar o pumasok ka sa loob."