Sulu sultan files complaint vs Malaysia before UN

By Perseus Echeminada, The Philippine Star

Posted at Jul 08 2013 08:35 AM | Updated as of Jul 08 2013 04:35 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Sultanate of Sulu has filed a complaint with the United Nations High Commission for Human Rights (UNHCHR), accusing Malaysia of violating a 1963 agreement over the arrest of several people involved in the attempted takeover of Sabah earlier this year.

Sultanate spokesman Abraham Idjirani maintained the people arrested by Malaysian authorities were never involved in the attempt.

Idjirani said the complaint against Malaysia was filed at the UN office in Makati City last week.

The complaint detailed several human rights violations committed by Malaysians against Sultan Jumamul Kiram III and other personalities suspected to have provided support to the failed invasion.

Idjirani pointed out Malaysia is a party to the accord signed in Manila in 1963.

He said the Manila Accord was signed on 31 July 1963 by the Federation of Malaysia, Republic of Indonesia and Republic of the Philippines.

The countries agreed to abide by the wishes of the people of North Borneo (now Sabah and Labuna) and Sarawak, within the context of the UN General Assembly Resolution 1541 (XV), Principle 9 of the Annex, taking into account referendums in North Borneo and Sarawak that would be free and without coercion.

The accord also called for the peaceful resolution of the Philippine claim to North Borneo or Sabah.

“The arrest of Datu Amirbahar Kiram, who was not involved in the standoff, is a clear violation of the treaty,” Idjirani said.

“Datu Amirbahar, a nephew of Sultan Kiram, was never involved in the fighting. In fact, he was mediating for the peaceful resolution of the standoff,” he said.