Critics to PNoy: Be man enough to admit bad news

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 27 2011 04:48 PM | Updated as of Jun 28 2011 06:27 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Members of the minority today twitted President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III for claiming that some of his Cabinet men have only been giving him the “bad news.”

In a statement, “the reason why the President's leadership and performance are in bad shape is because he refuses to hear bad news. At this time, it is difficult for the President to hear good news because they come sparingly, like comets,” House Minority Leader Edcel Lagman said.

Aquino last week said there are 2 to 3 in his Cabinet weighing him down, calling them the bearer of bad news.

In a separate interview with ANC, deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said Aquino used the statement as a joke to highlight the successful work done by Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson, Science and Technology Secretary Mario Montejo, and Budget Secretary Florencio Abad.

Zambales Rep. Mitos Magsaysay stressed, however, the joke was made “at the expense of others…that’s why they’re saying it’s a joke to do damage control…everything that comes out of his mouth is already a policy.”

She said Aquino should be man enough to admit there is also bad news in his administration.

Lagman added: “President Aquino must appreciate Cabinet members who have the concern and courage to tell him bad news which is indispensable in order that the Aquino administration can make rectifications and reforms.”

He said “positive responses to bad news are building blocks to good governance.”