Rabusa rejects call to leave witness protection program

By RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 14 2011 12:31 PM | Updated as of Jun 14 2011 08:31 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Military corruption whistleblower George Rabusa  and his lawyer, Noel Malaya, dismissed calls that he be taken off the government’s witness protection program.

Rabusa feels that call is unfair. “Kasi I'm entitled to that. I'm entitled to the Department of Justice protection.”

Rabusa reiterates no one convinced him to come out with his exposé, saying that Senator jinggoy Estrada merely helped him come out in his privilege speech on the plea bargaining agreement of former military comptroller Carlos Garcia.

Rabusa also notes that he only has one other case pending, a perjury case, while other cases for plunder and forfeiture of properties have already been cleared.

He said he could have kept his peace about military corruption. In fact, he says he attempted twice, once in 2005 and another in 2007, to surface but he decided against it because the people he would have testified against were still in power.

Malaya said witness protection is his client’s right, having come out as a witness against a powerful organization. Malaya notes the Armed Foreces had already stated in the past they will give the best defense and best lawyers for the purpose.