MANILA - The Commission on Elections has started issuing certificates of proclamation (COP) to winning party-list groups in the May 2013 mid-term election.
However, Comelec Commissioner Lucenito Tagle said they will continue to withhold the additional party-list seats of Buhay, An Waray and Magdalo as well as the proclamation of the last 5 seats due to the pendency of the disqualification case against Senior Citizens and Abang Lingkod before the Supreme Court.
Tagle said the poll body has issued the certificates of proclamation of many of the party-list winners. The COP is the document needed to identify a party list representative so he/she can be allowed to assume office by the House of Representatives.
Last week Comelec said it will withhold the COPs of the 3rd seat of Buhay and the 2nd seats of An Waray and Magdalo.
The Comelec also withheld the seats of Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) and Citizens' Battle Against Corruption (CIBAC) as the poll body has yet to resolve who between the groups' warring factions should get the seat.
"The way I look at it, baka resolve agad ng SC yan because of the June 30 deadline. Saka wala pa kami formal resolution na sinasabi ganyan. Hino-hold lang namin certificate of proclamation. Malamang makuha rin. I have a hunch," he said.
Tagle believes the Supreme Court will rule on the merits of the disqualification case against Senior Citizens and Abang Lingkod soon.
"Problema di kami makakilos though they promised to resolve main petition. Karamihan ng 53 nandun na."
Tagle, who is acting chairman while Sixto Brillantes is on vacation, said there is no reason yet for Buhay to seek relief from the SC regarding its 3rd seat.
"OK lang yun. Amin naman temporary lang yun. Di pa na-implement no reason to go to the SC. Sa aming computation hinold lang naming temporarily yung 2 binigay na naming pasok na kaya si (Lito) Atienza," he said.