MANILA - Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Monday said she will submit her recommendation for a new Bureau of Corrections chief following the resignation of BuCor Director Franklin Bucayu.
De Lima confirmed that Bucayu has formally submitted his resignation letter. She said she has not yet forwarded the letter to President Aquino, and will submit it with her recommendation.
"I am about to endorse already but mag-uusap pa kami tomorrow with the endorsee. In fact, mag-uusap kaming tatlo, ako, Director Bucayu and the nominee na actually vinet na at may level so am just formalizing or drafting a formal endorsement to the President kasi si Director Bucayu talaga pong nagpadala na sa akin ng resignation letter," she said.
"Ayaw ko hong i-forward sa Palasyo na wala pa syang kapalit so very very soon ifo-forward ko na po yon. You will know in due time," she added.
President Aquino earlier confirmed that Bucayu had already informed him of his plan to resign, citing health reasons. He also said he has already picked Bucayu's replacement but declined to give specifics.
"Si Frank Bucayu has suffered issues with his health. Kaliwa’t kanan na raw ang death threats niya, etcetera. So he has asked to also be relieved. I have actually interviewed his replacement who was actually willing to accept the assignment already but I said, ‘Pag-isipan mo mabuti ito. Hindi ‘yung ‘pag pasok dyan, maiisip mo marami kang kakampi,” Aquino said.
Last year, Bucayu came under fire after a series of raids revealed that drug lords in the maximum security compound of the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) are living the high life.[HIGH LIFE: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/12/15/14/drugs-hot-tub-playstation-seized-inside-bilibid]
Bucayu had said he merely inherited the problems in the penal system and that he himself is leading the reforms.
A Philippine Star report earlier said Bureau of Customs-Intelligence Group (IG) Deputy Commissioner Jessie Dellosa was offered the BuCor Director post but he declined.