Senator Manuel Villar remains the wealthiest among 23 senators, being the chamber's sole billionaire, based on the Statements of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth (SALN) of the lawmakers.
Villar, whose net worth based on his SALN is P 1.046 billion, is one of the country's top real estate developers. His wife, Parañaque Rep. Cynthia Villar, is also the richest among the 238 representatives in the House of Representatives.
Sen. Villar is followed by Senator Jamby Madrigal, whose net worth is P145.6 million, and Senator Juan Ponce Enrile, with P120.3 million.
Others in the top ten are Senators Ramon Revilla, Mar Roxas, Jinggoy Estrada, Pia Cayetano, Miriam Santiago, Loren Legarda and Edgardo Angara.
Senator Antonio Trillanes has the least wealth, at P2.9 million.
He is followed by Senator Francis Escudero, who reported a net worth of P7.6 million.
Here is a list of the senators, arranged based on their net worth based on their SALN.
1. VILLAR, Manuel 1.046 billion
2. MADRIGAL, Jamby 145.617 million
3. PONCE ENRIILE, Juan 120.367 million
4. REVILLA, Bong 118 million (2007)
5. ROXAS, Mar 110.7 million (2007)
6. ESTRADA, Jinggoy 83.511 million
7. CAYETANO, Pia P75.593 million (2008)
8. SANTIAGO, Miriam 75.755 million
9. LEGARDA, Loren 45.59 million
10. ANGARA, Edgardo 44.1 million (2007)
11. ZUBIRI, Juan Miguel 30.733 million
12. BIAZON, Rodolfo 29.456 million
13. LACSON, Panfilo 27.806 million
14. GORDON, Richard 27 million (2007)
15. CAYETANO, Alan Peter 16.266 million
16. HONASAN, Gregorio 15.904 million
17. LAPID, Lito 14.6 million
18. AQUINO, Benigno III 14 million (2007)
19. PIMENTEL, Aquilino Jr. 12.313 million
20. PANGILINAN, Francis 11.684 million
21. ARROYO, Joker 11.05 million
22. ESCUDERO, Chiz 7.683 million
23. TRILLANES, Antonio IV 2.966 million
Villar wife is sole billionaire in Congress
Parañaque Rep. Cynthia Villar registered a networth of P1.047 billion as of end-2008, making her the only billionaire among her peers. She reported having no liabilities.
Villar’s networth is more than twice the next richest solons in the list, Leyte Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, Negros Occidental Rep. Julio Ledesma IV, and San Jose del Monte Rep. Arturo Robes. They reported respective networths of P477 million, P447 million, and P441 million.
Villar's networth is almost 19,000 times that of the poorest congressman, Anakpawis Rep. Rafael Mariano, who reported P55,501.72.
Three other congressmen registered a networth less than P1 million: Bayan Muna Rep. Satur Ocampo (P895,145), Bohol Rep. Adam Relson Jala (P782,000), and Bayan Muna Rep. Teodoro Casiño (P119,900).
Presidential aspirant Gilbert Teodoro’s wife, Monica, is 6th richest with a networth of P232 million, while former Speaker Jose De Venecia Jr. landed on the 40th slot with P62.7 million.
Current House Speaker Prospero Nograles ranked 29th with a networth of P88.26 million. He reported assets of P133 million and liabilities of P45 million.
Former President Ferdinand Marcos’s son and namesake, Ferdinand Jr., placed 8th with networth of P180 million, while President Arroyo’s son, Mickey Arroyo ranked 23rd with P99 million.
The top 10 richest congressmen are:
1. Rep. Cynthia Villar (P1.05-B)
2. Rep. Ferdinand Martin Romualdez (P477-M)
3. Rep. Julio Ledesma IV (P447-M)
4. Rep. Arturo Robes (P441-M)
5. Rep. Judy Syjuco (P265-M)
6. Rep. Monica Prieto Teodoro (P232-M)
7. Rep. Ferjenel Biron (P191-M)
8. Rep. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. (P180-M)
9. Rep. Edgar San Luis (P165-M)
10. Rep. Aurelio Gonzalez Jr. (P153-M)
The top 10 poorest:
1. Rep. Rafael Mariano (P55-T)
2. Rep. Teodoro Casiño (P118-T)
3. Rep. Adam Relson Jala (P782-T)
4. Rep. Satur Ocampo (P895-T)
5. Rep. Mujiv Hataman (P1.5-M)
6. Rep. Liza Maza (P1.5-M)
7. Rep. Benjamin Asilo (P1.9-M)
8. Rep. Pedro Pancho (P2-M)
9. Rep. Sharee Ann Tan (P2.1-M)
10. Rep. Narciso Santiago III (P2.9-M)
Palace defends Arroyo riches
Press Secretary Cerge Remonde defended Friday the increase in the net worth of President Arroyo and her two sons in Congress, which he said should be credited to sound investment.
Remonde said that the P45-million increase in the net worth of the President was the result of her sale of a three-hectare lot in 2008 at P1,400 per square meter.
He said Pampanga Rep. Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo and Camarines Sur Rep. Diosdado “Dato” Arroyo were able to profit from their investments in the stock market.
“As you know, the Arroyos are very much into the stock market. I think they have made good investments so most of these increases are really on the basis of stock investments,” Remonde said. With reports from Lynda Jumilla, ABS-CBN News, and Carmela Fonbuena, abs-cbnNEWS.com/Newsbreak