DAVAO CITY - Former Defense Secretary and 2010 presidential aspirant Gilbert 'Gibo' Teodoro confirmed presumptive president Rodrigo Duterte's invitation to join his Cabinet as defense chief again, saying he was surprised at the offer.
Teodoro was among the dignitaries, politicians and well-wishers who visited Duterte in Davao City on Monday.
"I was surprised. I thought we would just meet and I would offer my congratulations. But then (Las Piñas representative) Mark Villar and me were offered the post," Teodoro told reporters.
Teodoro said he gave no commitment to Duterte, asking for time to think about it.
"I answered that it's not a decision I can make alone. I have to consult my family and a lot of commitments I had and have made, and I will have to come back to him with a decision," he said.
"I'm not ready to give a response at this time and we agreed to keep it at that," he said.
He said he would give his answer to Duterte at the "soonest possible time."
"Ang commitment ko, kung papaano tayo makakatulong in whatever capacity, we have to find that fit," he said.
Teodoro was Tarlac representative before becoming secretary of the Department of National Defense (DND) under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Teodoro had been out of the limelight after he ran and lost the race for the presidency in 2010 as Arroyo's anointed successor under the Lakas-Kampi-CMD party.
While Teodoro was already among the personalities rumored to be included in the Duterte cabinet, he said he only got the offer when he met the Davao City mayor on Monday.