MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang is respecting the decision of Deputy Ombudsman for Luzon Mark Jalandoni to quit his job although the Office of the President has yet to receive his letter of resignation, Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. said on Monday.
"That's his prerogative and we will respect his decision. We might as well accept his resignation, if indeed he has decided to resign," Ochoa said in a radio interview.
"But I have not seen his letter of resignation. Perhaps, if that's true, his letter might reach our office only (within this week)," he added.
According to news reports, Jalandoni forwarded his resignation letter to Malacañang via registered mail last Friday.
Jalandoni was appointed deputy Ombudsman for Luzon in March 2010, and prior to that he headed the Office of the Ombudsman's Field Investigation Office.
Before joining the Office of the Ombudsman, he was state prosecutor of the Department of Justice (DOJ) and program director of the Witness Protection, Security and Benefit Program under the DOJ, and once served as undersecretary of the Office of the Chief Presidential Legal Counsel.
Last week, three complaints, including usurpation of authority, were filed against Jalandoni with the Office of the President.