The administration has narrowed down to three its potential candidates for the presidential derby in 2010, Presidential Adviser on Political Affairs Gabriel Claudio said Thursday.
Claudio said the administration will make their final choice based on the candidates' winnability, qualifications, track record, and support for President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Only after they have selected their presidential bet will they choose their vice-presidential candidate, he added.
Claudio refused to name the three people they have shortlisted.
Press Secretary Cerge Remonde has previously mentioned several possible bets, including Vice President Noli de Castro, Defense Secretary Gilbert Teodoro, Metro Manila Development Authority chair Bayani Fernando, and Senator Richard Gordon.
Remonde also said they are still open to getting a candidate from outside the administration.
Claudio said they are also strengthening the ruling coalition Lakas-KAMPI machinery with the end goal of fielding only one set of candidates at the local level.
'We are fortifying the Lakas-KAMPI machinery by activating our arbitration process, with the end in view of fieldng only one set of candidates at the local level.Thus our local candidates willl not be distractd by adversity within the same party or coalition, therefore better able to help our [candidates]," he said. -- With a report from RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News