DFA: Sabah standoff over; 2 Malaysian cops killed

by David Dizon, ABS-CBNnews.com

Posted at Mar 01 2013 03:45 PM | Updated as of Mar 01 2013 11:45 PM

10 from Kiram group surrender; others on the run

MANILA - The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday said 2 Malaysian police officers were killed and one wounded after being shot at by followers of Datu Raja Muda Agbimuddin in Sabah, Malaysia.

"Malaysian authorities, particularly the Malaysian police, are now pursuing the group. Two were killed and 1 wounded from the Malaysian police after their vehicle(s) were fired upon by the Kiram group. The ambassador said the standoff is now over," Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said in a statement. 

Hernandez said the DFA is still validating a report from the group of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III that 10 followers of Raja Muda were killed while 4 others were wounded in the shooting. 

"What we have from the Malaysian ambassador is that 10 men of the Kirams surrendered and 1 owner of the house where Kiram stayed was killed. From the Malaysian authorities, 2 were killed and 1 was wounded after the Malaysian police vehicle was fired upon by the Kiram group," he said. 

Two of Kiram's men also escaped and ran towards the sea, according to the Malaysian ambassador. Hernandez said they have no information if those who left Kiram's group were able to escape.  

He said Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario asked the Malaysian ambassador to the Philippines for a full briefing of the operations conducted by Malaysian forces in Lahad Datu. 

He said del Rosario submitted a note verbale to the ambassador, asking for full access to Raja Muda's group so that the Philippine government could give medical treatment to the wounded and provide consular assistance to the rest of the group

"Secretary del Rosario also requested clearance for the Philippine Navy ship AT-296 BRP Tagbanua to proceed to Lahad Datu to enable Philippine medical personnel abroad to attend to the wounded and ferry them and the remaining members of the group back to their respective homes and families," he said.