Carjack ring 'chief' denies hand in killings

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 20 2011 08:22 PM | Updated as of Jan 21 2011 03:59 PM

Urges police not to rush probes

MANILA, Philippines - The alleged leader of one of the most notorious carjacking syndicates in the country has denied involvement in the torture and murders of Emerson Lozano, Ernanie Sensil and Venson Evangelista.

In an exclusive interview with TV Patrol, Raymond Dominguez, alleged leader of the Dominguez carnapping syndicate, denied having a hand in the killing and torching of the bodies of Lozano, Sensil and Evangelista.

Carjack ring 'chief' denies hand in killings 1"Napanood ko po ang balita na masyadong karumaldumal ang nangyari sa sa pamilya nila. Naalarma po pamilya ko. Medyo di makatao ang ginawa sa kanila. Nagtataka po kami bakit ang pangalan ko at kapatid ko na pinapasok sa ganung usapan na di ko naman po sila kilala," he said.

Lozano, son of prominent lawyer Oliver Lozano, was selling a Kia Carnival with his driver, Sensil, when they were kidnapped over the weekend. Their burnt bodies were later recovered in Pampanga and Tarlac provinces.

Evangelista, a used-car dealer,  was also kidnapped and killed the same way. His burnt body was found in Nueva Ecija province also in Central Luzon.

The Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group earlier identified the Dominguez carjacking syndicate as one of 3 major carjacking rings operating in Central Luzon.

Dominguez admitted he is currently facing 19 counts of carjacking before the regional trial court in Malolos, Bulacan. During a recent trial hearing, he was accompanied by his mother and siblings.

Carjack ring 'chief' denies hand in killings 2The alleged carjacker washed his hands of any involvement in the Lozano and Evangelista murders.

He is also alarmed that his name is being linked to another murder, that of Baywalk Bodies member Rejoice Rivera on December 31, 2010.

Rivera, Dianne Marie Santos in real life, was shot in the head and her body dumped near the Tabang exit of North Luzon Expressway late last year.

Dominguez said his name is being dragged into all sorts of crimes in Central Luzon, which could mean that the police are rushing the investigation.

"Baka hindi nila maituro ang talagang gumawa. Para ma-case closed siguro agad at mapadali ang trabaho nila, at laging ako at kapatid ko ang sinisisi nila sa mga nangyayari. Nasa kulungan pa nga ako di pa ako nakakalabas may bintang na murder na sa akin," he said.

Meanwhile, Dominguez's mother, Betty, said she is worried for her son's safety. She said unmarked vehicles have been seen outside their house. 

"Nakikiusap po ako na pwede hanapin niyo ang gumawa sa karumaldumal na krimen na iyon. Puro na lang kami. Apektado na ho lahat ng pamilya ko," she said.

Dominguez's lawyer, Atty. Joey Cruz, said the police should do the investigation thoroughly and not just pin the crimes on a fall guy.

"Huwag bilisin ang pag-imbestiga. Baka naman mangyari dito magkaron ng fall guy at di natin makamit ang justice," he said.

Senior Superintendent Edwin Butacan, HPG spokesman, denied that they are singling out any individual in the investigation.

"Wala naman kaming sini-single out any group o individual na tao o grupo na responsable. We are not the investigating body," he said.

The Dominguez family said they are willing to cooperate with the police to find the true perpetrators in the recent murders. -- from a TV Patrol report by Alex Santos, ABS-CBN News