Daphne Osena Paez. Photo by Paul Del Rosario for Metro Home Magazine
1. Storage is key. Many of my appliances are small and packed away in under-the counter storage. Make sure your drawers are easy to maintain and organize.
2. Lighting can make or break a room. Your kitchen lights must be both functional and attractive.
3. Raise the ceiling. To make my kitchen appear even larger, I tore down the original plywood ceiling and exposed the roof with the structural beams and all.
4. Exhaust system is important, especially in enclosed small kitchens.
5. Break the rules. Everyone told me I was crazy for putting an air-conditioner in my small ktiche, but I wanted to be comfortable every time I cooked. So I chose an energy efficient inverter Samsung split-type air conditioner.
6. Safety should be of utmost concern when dealing with electrical, gas and plumbing issues. Work with the most reputable gas company to install proper gas pipes with the right regulators and safety features if you plan to pipe gas into your home.
7. Find an excellent and trustworthy constructor through referrals from satisfied clients.
For the full list of Daphne's Kitchen Tips, check out Metro Home and Entertaining's Kitchen Issue. Digital edition available on Zinio.com (www.zinio.com/metrohome) and on the iTunes App Store.