MANILA, Philippines -- The Ateneo Art Gallery on Monday announced the 12 artists who have been short-listed for this year's Ateneo Art Awards.
From the 12 shortlisted exhibitions or artworks, three will be chosen as winners, who will be invited to apply for international residency grants funded by the Ateneo Art Gallery and its partner institutions -- Common Room Networks Foundation in Bandung, Indonesia; La Trobe University Visual Arts Centre in Bendigo, Australia; Artesan Gallery in Singapore; Art Omi in New York, United States; and Liverpool Hope University in Liverpool, United Kingdom.
Since 2004, Ateneo Art Awards have been given to Filipino visual artists below the age of 36 for outstanding works in an exhibition between May 2 of the previous year and May 1 of the current year.
The works of the short-listed artists will be exhibited at the Grand Atrium of the Shangri-la Plaza mall from August 3-13 and at the Ateneo Art Gallery from August 20 to September 22.
The winners will be announced at an awards Ceremony on August 9 at the Shangri-La Plaza.
Short-listed for this year are:
1. Martha Atienza for her solo exhibit "Gilubong ang Akon Pusod sa Dagat (My Navel is Buried in the Sea)" at the Office of Culture and Design in Madridejos, Bantayan Island on August 2011, Gallery Orange from February 9-28, 2012 and Pablo X from April 14-28.
2. Zean Cabangis for the group exhibit "Shade My Eyes and I Can See You" at the Silverlens Gallery from January 5 to February 4, 2012.
3. Vermont Coronel for the solo exhibit "Spirit of a Place" at The Drawing Room from April 28 to May 22, 2012.
4. Kawayan de Guia for the solo exhibit "A Lot of Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing" at The Drawing Room from September 17 to October 10, 2011.
5. Patricia Eustaquio for the solo exhibit "Cloud Country" at Silverlens Gallery from September 28 to October 19, 2011.
6. Dina Gadia for the solo exhibit "Regal Discomforts" at Blanc Compound from August 31 to September 21, 2011.
7. Riel Hilario for the solo exhibit "Perro Amoroso/It was a Paradisiacal State: The Body was Allowed to be a Body" at Art Informal from April 29 to May 5, 2012.
8. Goldie Poblador for the solo exhibit "The Ghost in the Machine"at the Liongoren Gallery from May 3 to June 3, 2011.
9. Mervy Pueblo for the solo exhibit "Project: Stone Mediation" at The Black Room, MCAD Whittier Studio's Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Unoted States from December 10-14, 2011.
10. Maria Taniguchi for the solo exhibit "Untitled (Celestial Motors)" at Silverlens 20 Square from March 15 to April 20, 2012.
11. Mark Valenzuela for the solo exhibit "Zugzwang" at Art Informal from August 25 to September 4, 2011.
12. MM Yu for the solo exhibit "Inventory" at Silverlens Gallery from April 19 to May 19, 2012.