MANILA, Philippines - Culinary professionals clashed last month in Chefs on Parade (COP), which is hailed as the longest cooking competition in the country.
The contest, held at the SMX Convention Center in Pasay City from February 10 to 12, aims to highlight the talents and skills of Filipino chefs. It is divided into student and professional divisions.
Makati Shangri-La Hotel is the overall winner in the professional division, and was awarded the COP Presidential Trophy.
The hotel's chefs also bagged several awards. They are:
- Anatoly Barcenas: Gold, Barista
- Aurea Occena: Gold, Cold Meat Buffet Platter Freestyle
- Manuelito Azarcon: Gold, Cold Seafood Buffet Platter Freestyle
- Aguido Lindayag: Gold, Pastry Showpiece Freestyle
- Ryan Reyes, Rey de Vera: Silver (highest award), Table Setting/Menu Card
- Leozard Labsan: Silver (highest award), Wedding Cake Freestyle
- Rommel Gabriel: Silver, Pralines/Chocolate Freestyle
- JV Huevos, Dante Sam and Mark Gustilo: Bronze, Market Basket Continental
- Jun Paloma and Mark Tolentino: Diploma, Set Menu: Healthy Lifestyle
- Leung Ka Fai and Emerito Esperas: Diploma, Dim Sum Freestyle
Other winners in COP's professional division include:
- Marriott Hotel Manila,
- Traders Hotel,
- Business Inn,
- Best Western Hotel La Corona,
- The Peninsula Manila,
- The Heritage Hotel,
- Hyatt Hotel and Casino,
- Discovery Suites,
- Sofitel Philippine Plaza Hotel,
- Waterfront Manila Pavilion,
- Century Park Hotel,
- Taal Vista Hotel,
- Dusit Thani Manila,
- The Bellevue Manila,
- Edsa Shangri-La Hotel,
- Our Lady of Fatima University,
- St. Paul University-Manila,
- De La Salle-College of St. Benilde,
- Lyceum of the Philippines University-Manila,
- Shatec Institute.
Meanwhile, St. Therese-MTC Colleges in Iloilo City was the overall winner in the contest's student division.
Renowned international and local culinary luminaries such as "Chef in Black" Emmanuel Stroobant, Alex Dino, See Cheong Yan, Benoit Nicolay, Stewart Dovey, Philip Golding, Bruce Lim, Gene Gonzalez, Sau del Rosario judged this year's COP.
For the complete list of winners, visit the Hotel and Restaurant Association of the Philippines website.