'Hardest thing I had to endure': Chef loses job due to ABS-CBN shutdown

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 20 2020 12:37 PM

MANILA -- A local chef and restaurateur took to Facebook over the weekend to share that he is also affected by the job cuts caused by the non-renewal of ABS-CBN's franchise.

Chef Him Uy de Baron, the man behind restaurant concepts such as Nomama Artisanal Ramen and Cocina Peruvia, revealed that he and his team in the multimedia conglomerate's food and beverage division have lost their jobs.

"This by far was the hardest thing I had to endure during my 20-something professional career -- to break the news to my entire team, that our F and B division will have to cease operation. It was heartbreaking to say the least to see them weep, to lose their jobs to no fault of their own," said Uy de Baron, as he shared photos of his ABS-CBN ID and his team.

"I had many hesitations in joining a corporate job when ABS-CBN called, but after much prayer and discussion with my family I took the challenge. A challenge of a lifetime," he added. "I wish I could show you all what we had planned, what we were trying to build. But maybe one day it will still come to pass. I admired ABS for being such a visionary and I wanted to be in on it. To do something great and bold. But it was not meant to be, for now."

 

Uy de Baron went on to thank his colleagues, as well as the bosses of ABS-CBN "for your integrity and humility."

"I have learned a lifetime worth of character and lessons from you. I shall strive to carry this on. They have asked you to sell, but with all honestly, I would rather lose my job than work [for] them," he said. 

Maintaining that ABS-CBN is not composed of "oligarchs," the chef addressed the government: "Wala po kaming kinalaman sa mga paratang na inyong sisinigaw sa amin. Ang hangad lamang ng mga katrabaho ko ay magbigay-lingkod, makapagbigay-saya through our service, and food. 'Yan lang po talaga ang rason kung bakit araw-araw kaming pumapasok. Kaya po kapag pinagmamalaki niyo [na] na-dismantle niyo kami, 'wag niyo po kaming tawaging oligarchs."

"I will soon close a chapter of my life that was ABS-CBN, but I have no regrets, none. I will embrace a new season that God has ordained for me and my family. He is good, and He has never let us down, and I am excited for what He will bring about," he ended. 

ABS-CBN announced last week that it would cease the operations of some of its businesses and lay off workers effective August 31, 2020 after the House committee on legislative franchises denied the media and entertainment company a new 25-year franchise.

news.abs-cbn.com is the news website of ABS-CBN.