MANILA -- Foodpanda and GrabFood resumed operations in Luzon after the Department of Trade and Industry clarified that food delivery services are allowed during the month-long enhanced quarantine on the main island.
In a statement sent to ABS-CBN News on Tuesday, Foodpanda assured customers that it practices hygiene and safety measures amid concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus.
"Foodpanda is allowed to operate along with other food service platforms as providers of basic necessities. In light of this recent mandate, we would like to reassure you that Foodpanda continues to operate as usual with free delivery on every order," the statement read.
"Our rider hubs provide hand sanitizer and mask free of charge to all our riders, who are instructed to wash their hands every two hours and after each time they handle a delivery," it added.
Foodpanda went on to encourage its users to make online payments to "easily keep unnecessary human interactions to a minimum."
Similarly, Grab said in a statement that its GrabFood and GrabExpress services will continue to operate under a skeletal delivery fleet, adding that they will exercise measures such as contactless delivery, temperature checks, and increased cleaning frequency of delivery bags, among others.
"The decision was made to support the food establishments that will continue to operate and maintain continuous flow of goods to serve the essential needs of Filipinos during these trying times," Grab said.
Earlier on Tuesday, Foodpanda and Grab notified their users that they have temporarily suspended services in Luzon until further notice.
The government has suspended work from office, classes, and public transportation lines and barred dining in restaurants to avoid the spread of COVID-19 under an enhanced community quarantine.
Health officials previously said the virus is transmitted through the transfer of droplets from an infected patient.