NBOC eyes proclamation of senatorial, party-list winners on Thursday
Pia Gutierrez, ABS-CBN News
MANILA - Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner Rowena Guanzon on Tuesday confirmed that the National Board of Canvassers (NBOC) is targeting to proclaim all 12 winners of the senatorial race, as well as winning party-list groups on Thursday, May 19.
The NBOC has almost completed the canvassing of votes at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) pending the election results from Lanao Del Sur and Northern Samar, and two clustered precincts from Antique which held special polls on Monday.
The NBOC is also waiting for the results of over 2,000 votes from detainee voting.
As part of protocol, Guanzon said the members of the NBOC will meet with House Speaker Sonny Belmonte and Senate President Franklin Drilon on Wednesday before proceeding with the proclamation on Thursday.
Counsels of senatorial candidates Ralph Recto, Leila de Lima, Francis Pangilinan and Vicente Sotto III on Monday urged the NBOC to declare early the winners of the senatorial race, saying the results that have yet to be canvassed will no longer affect the outcome of the election.
De Lima so far is at the number 12 spot, leading with one million votes against the number 13 candidate, former MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino.
In the second canvass report released by the NBOC Monday evening, the top 12 senatorial candidates based on the results of 121 out of 165 Certificates of Canvass are the following:
- Franklin Drilon - 18,307,801
- Joel Villanueva - 18,212,639
- Vicente Sotto III - 16,985,226
- Panfilo Lacson - 16,687,586
- Richard Gordon - 16,444,672
- Miguel Zubiri - 15,788,531
- Manny Pacquiao - 15,735,079
- Risa Hontiveros - 15,673,393
- Francis Pangilinan - 15,665,050
- Sherwin Gatchalian - 14,726,503
- Ralph Recto - 14,030,498
- Leila de Lima - 13,894,048
Trailing the top 12 candidates are:
13. Francis Tolentino - 12,604,848
14. Sergio Osmeña - 12,467,678
15. Martin Romualdez - 12,056,005