Duterte shows BPI certificate of dollar account
Account only had $5,021 in March 2014, no big transactions from 2013 to 2016
MANILA (UPDATED) - Presidential candidate Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday bared a certificate from the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) saying his dollar account only had over $5,000 more than two years ago.
Speaking to reporters at the Philippine Star office in Manila, the PDP-Laban standard-bearer presented a certification from the bank stating that a dollar account under the name Rodrigo Roa Duterte or Rodrigo Roa Duterte and Sara Z. Duterte, his daughter, contained $5,021.70 as of March 31, 2014.
Duterte said there had been no movement in the account from 2013 to 2016, until deposits of $5 and $10 were made after reports of his allegedly undeclared dollar account surfaced.
One of his rivals in the presidential race, administration standard- bearer Mar Roxas, last week presented as proof a transaction slip depositing $10 to his account.
WATCH: Duterte has undeclared dollar account, Roxas camp says
Duterte's dollar account now contains $5,065.33, he said, or about P239,000 if converted into pesos.
"Ang makikita niyo lang diyan yung deposit sa New Farmers Araneta pati yung sa Dipolog na $10 at $5," said Duterte's assistant, Christopher 'Bong' Go. "So for three years, walang movement itong dollar account ni Mayor. Ito yung dinepositahan ni Mar."
Duterte also presented a bank statement from BPI Julia Vargas Avenue branch in Pasig City regarding his account earlier revealed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV and alleged to contain over P200 million and undeclared in the mayor's Statement of Assets, Liabilities and Net worth (SALN).
Duterte's spokesperson, Peter Laviña, claimed the account had been dormant since March 31, 2014, containing only P17,816.98.
However, after deposits were similarly made to the account in the past week following news reports on the issue, it now contains P128,829.34.
"Ito po yung latest, May 3, umabot na po ng P128,829 sa sobra pong daming nagdeposito... From P17,000, ganun po kadami ang nagdeposito," said Go.
"Yung nagdeposito, yung iba, to determine really where it is active or not. Yung una diyan yung kay Trillanes na dineposito, sabi niya 'ito yung account ni Duterte'... Itong mga magnanakaw, akala nila magnanakaw ka rin," the mayor added.
According to Duterte, he will withdraw all the money deposited to his account that is not his.
"Saan ko ilalagay yan ngayon? Am I to retain the original amount which is really mine and ibigay ko sa Veritas yung...? Iwi-withdraw ko yan, kasi hindi naman pera ko yan, pera ni Trillanes yan which was deposited in utter bad faith."
Duterte showed a total of 11 bank passbooks.
He insisted that the money in all his accounts have never amounted to P211 million, as alleged by Trillanes.
'ANG TINGIN NIYA SA AKIN HAMPASLUPA'
During the press conference, Duterte lambasted Roxas for allegedly treating him like a "hampaslupa" who seems to have no right to own a dollar account.
"Ang history nito, ng dollar account ko, yun yung kinukuhanan ko pag maga-abroad ako," he explained, saying that when he was congressman, he was given dollar allowances every time he had an official trip abroad.
Duterte accused Roxas of being an elitist who looks down on the poor.
"Alam mo, ito si Mar, kung magsalita kumbaga 'Kami lang na mga mayaman na may coliseum at may mga sugar plantation... Kami lang ang dapat may mga dollar na milyon-milyon. Bakit kayo, saan niyo kinuha yung milyon ninyo?' Parang ganun. So ang tingin niya sa akin parang hampaslupa.
"Eh talagang mahirap naman ako. Pero nung kumain siya sa Davao, ako ang nagbayad sa (expletive). Totoo," he said.
"Palibhasa elitista. I've been warned not to use the word elitista because I would hurt the elite. (Expletive), wala akong pakialam. When I become president by the grace of God, I will serve the people, not you. (Expletive) all of you," he added.
Duterte went on to say that he would use the $10 deposited by the camp of Roxas to his account to buy candles for the former interior secretary's burial.
"Itong dineposito mo, tanggalin ko ito... Ang mabili nito yung maliit na kandila. Sa kabaong mo, itabi ko ito," he said. "Kung nauna ako, I will ask my daughter Sara to buy a candle with your $10 at ilagay niya doon sa tabi ng kabaong mo."
The mayor, meanwhile, challenged the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) and the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) to start investigating his bank accounts which allegedly contain "dirty money" worth P2.4 billion.
Trillanes, citing bank transaction records from several sources, had alleged that Duterte had bank transactions amounting to P2.407 billion in 17 accounts in three banks from 2006 to 2015.
READ: Duterte accounts had P2.4-B in transactions: Trillanes
"Bakit di niyo iniimbestigahan yan?" Duterte quipped, accusing the BSP and AMLC of criminal negligence.
"That is dirty money and they are very sure of it, Trillanes and Roxas. So why don't you call Trillanes and Roxas at tingnan ninyo. I challenge you, and if not, I will file a case against you for criminal negligence. Anong klaseng AMLC ka? Anong klaseng bangko ka?"
"Dapat magtulong-tulong sila para mailabas nila ang P2.4 billion," Duterte said. - With reports from Anjo Bagaoisan, ABS-CBN News