HK bent on imposing sanctions vs typhoon-hit PH

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 12 2013 08:05 PM | Updated as of Nov 14 2013 12:44 AM

MANILA - Hong Kong lawmakers will push through without delay the implementation of economic sanctions against the Philippines even if the country is still reeling from the aftermath of super typhoon Yolanda (international name: Haiyan) that struck last Friday.

"We have been in contact with the Philippine government over the last couple of days and they have not raised the question of extending the deadline," said Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying.

Last week, CY Leung issued a warning that he would impose the sanction if Manila failed to meet the demands of the families of the victims.

The 2010 Manila bus seize staged by lone gunman Rolando Mendoza, claimed the lives of eight Hong Kong tourists and left seven others injured.

Legislator Frederick Fung from the Association for Democracy and People's Livelihood said that both governments should talk to find out if there is a need for a delay considering that the Philippines grappling with the aftermath of a disaster.

Tam Yiu-chung, chairman of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong thinks that there is no need to defer the sanctions.
 
"It depends on the Philippine government if they ask for after that," he said.

For Fernando Cheung of the Labor Party, the disaster that struck the Philippines has no direct relationship with the bus siege incident.

"I wouldn't agree to delaying the sanction. I think we should, on one hand, provide humanitarian relief to the best we can if that is being called for, but, on the other hand, the hostage incident is a matter of justice for the Hong Kong people and especially the victims," he said.

The information on Hong Kong's stand on the sanction, as well as the quotes from Hong Kong officials were from the report of rthk.hk

Last week, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma said in a press briefing that the Philippine government would keep communication lines open with Hong Kong and urged everyone to remain calm amid the lawmakers' vote to impose sanctions.
 
“Our position remains the same: both sides are working quietly to address these concerns and reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion,” he said.