MANILA, Philippines - Filipinos will now have the opportunity to stay in New Zealand for one year to study or work temporarily.
This comes as the Philippines and New Zealand finally launched the working holiday scheme (WHS).
Under the scheme, New Zealanders will likewise be allowed to stay in the Philippines for a year.
Starting February 5, 2014, Filipinos and New Zealanders, ages 18 to 30 years, will be able to apply for the WHS visa.
The WHS visa will give Filipinos and New Zealanders the opportunity to stay for one year in New Zealand and the Philippines, respectively, for leisure, holiday or temporary work.
WHS visa holders can enroll in training or study in New Zealand or the Philippines for a maximum of three months, or work for one year with a limit of three months per employer.
They will have to leave the country at the end of the temporary 12-month entry visa.
A quota of 100 WHS visas per year will be issued to successful Filipino applicants, and the same number to successful New Zealand applicants.
This is the first of its kind agreement entered into by the Philippines. The agreement was signed by Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert F. Del Rosario and Minister of Foreign Affairs Murray McCully and witnessed by President Benigno S. Aquino III and Prime Minister John Key in Wellington, October 23, 2012.
To be eligible for the WHS, Filipinos must:
- have a passport from the Republic of the Philippines that is valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
- be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
- not bring children with you
- hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket
- have a minimum of NZ$4,200 available funds to meet your living costs while you are here
- meet health and character requirements
- hold medical and comprehensive hospitalisation insurance for the length of your stay
- have a tertiary qualification granted in respect of a minimum of three years’ full-time university study
- have a level of proficiency in English that is assessed as at least functional
- be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work or study being secondary intentions for your visit, and
- not have been approved a visa under a working holiday scheme before.
Interested applicants from the Philippines may contact the Embassy of New Zealand in Makati (https://www.nzembassy.com/philippines) while those from New Zealand can get in touch with the Embassy of the Philippines in Wellington (https://www.philembassy.org.nz/) for the requirements and relevant details of the WHS Arrangement.