MANILA – Activist groups and martial law victims on Friday were shocked at the surprise burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the heroes' cemetery just 10 days after a high court ruling allowing the rites.
Former Bayan Muna party-list representative and martial law victim Satur Ocampo said the surprise burial was an underhanded action by the Marcos family, noting that petitioners had until next week to file a motion for reconsideration under Supreme Court rules.
“Although the Nov. 8 decision lifted the status quo ante order, it doesn’t preclude the filing of motion for reconsideration and in fact, Congressman Edcel Lagman had already announced a plan for the filing of motion for reconsideration,” Ocampo pointed out.
“Under the rules, any action by the Marcoses or implementation of the burial will have to wait until the issue is finally decided on by the Supreme Court."
Neri Colmenares, a former Bayan Muna lawmaker and martial law victim, said the surprise burial is a travesty of justice and shows the Marcos family's disregard for the rights of the people.
He pointed out that the burial could have been delayed until the motion for abeyance before the Supreme Court is decided on.
"We are really shocked by the brazenness of the Marcoses. In the first place, the decision has not become final and executory. They practically pulled the rug from the Supreme Court," he said in a separate ANC interview.
"Like a thief in the night, ganun pa rin. Hindi nagbago ang mga Marcoses. (The Marcoses have not changed.)"
Added Sen. Risa Hontiveros: "Hanggang sa dulo, nagpupuslit ang yumaong diktador."
The National Capital Region Police Office confirmed that the remains of Marcos will be flown from Laoag to the Libingan ng mga Bayani where a simple funeral ceremony will take place before the body is laid to rest at exactly 12 noon.
NCRPO Chief Oscar Albayalde said they were informed only yesterday on the actual date and time of the burial of the late presidential.
On November 8, voting 9-5 with one inhibition, the Supreme Court junked seven consolidated petitions, led by Bayan Muna Representative Satur Ocampo, that sought to block the Duterte administration's move to allow the burial of the late strongman at the heroes' cemetery.
The high court said the petitions had no merit.
For his part, SC Spokesman Theodore Te explained that there is no order prohibiting the Marcos burial.
Ocampo said their groups are starting to mobilize in various places to protest the burial today.