‘We could have fixed this,’ Kris tells ex-business partner accused of theft

Miguel Dumaual, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 15 2018 03:45 PM | Updated as of Nov 15 2018 06:17 PM

Actress-host Kris Aquino with her former business partner Nicko Falcis, whom she is now accusing of qualified theft. Instagram: @krisaquino

MANILA — (UPDATED) Actress-host Kris Aquino on Thursday reaffirmed her oath here in relation to qualified theft cases she has filed against her former business partner, Nicko Falcis.

Aquino arrived with her son, Bimby, at the Mandaluyong Prosecutor’s Office, where she also mentioned for the first time Falcis’ name after weeks of only vaguely referring to him in social media posts.

Aquino’s legal team, led by Atty. Sigfrid Fortun, earlier filed the complaints on her behalf in seven cities where the criminal acts were supposedly done.

According to Aquino, Falcis used for personal purchases a credit card she had entrusted to him, particularly and only for transactions involving her company, Kris Cojuangco Aquino Productions. 

Aquino alleged, in the complaints, that the amount in purchases supposedly stolen by Falcis reached P1.27 million.

Speaking on Falcis’ behalf, his lawyer brother Jesus said in a press conference earlier on Thursday that Aquino’s accusations of theft were unfounded.

“But I’m sure that there was no qualified theft. I’m sure wala kaming ninakaw. Walang ninakaw ang pamilya ko, so I always sleep at night,” he said, pointing out that the credit card was a supplemental one named under his brother.

Jesus also expressed willingness to have an amicable settlement with Aquino. But the actress belied this, saying her camp had approached the family of the accused multiple times for that precise reason, but always in vain.

“We tried six times. What changed?” she said. “Nicko, I owe you, and I have loved you. Sana nga tama ang sinasabi niyong gusto niyong makipag-ayos.”

Falcis, according to Jesus, is currently out of the country, fearing a supposed threat to his life.

Speaking with reporters after reaffirming her complaint, Aquino addressed her former business partner, whom she credited for helping her recover from personal and professional struggles.

“We have gratitude,” she said, referring to herself and Bimby, who was standing beside her. “I’m sorry that it came to this, because I had to see papers that I should not have seen, but unfortunately I did. This could have been fixed.”

She called on Falcis to face her personally so they could put an end to the dispute.

“I’m saying it directly to you, Nicko. We shared something special. You helped me rise up when I was down. May utang na loob ako. Kaya natin ‘to ayusin. Sana naayos natin ‘to kung tayong dalawa lang… Iyon ang masakit, e. Tinuring ka naming pamilya. Kaya kaya kong sabihin, kaya kitang patawarin. Pero magpakita ka naman sa ‘kin, na you’re at least trying to meet me halfway, because I’ve done more than my share,” she said.

The legal proceedings in Mandaluyong on Thursday marked Aquino’s first public appearance since she revealed being diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder in October. 

At the time, the actress said the stress caused by the “devastating betrayal” of Falcis led to the deterioration of her health. — with reports from Zandro Ochona and Dexter Ganibe, DZMM