MANILA - Celebrate Father's Day by arranging a movie marathon of some of the most heartwarming Filipino films featuring memorable movie dads.
In line with the occasion, Cinema One is running on Sunday movies with stories that revolve around fathers dedicated to their family.
Here are some local films featuring adorable dad-and-daughter duos that will surely tug at your heartstrings:
In this light comedy-drama-musical, Gary Valenciano plays a popular singer who suddenly has to take the responsibility of taking care of his daughter (played by Aiza Seguerra) after the death of the mother. “Papa’s Girl” deals with what is perhaps a relatable situation for some real-life celebrities, where one has to make the hard call of either preserving or putting his child before his career.
“I’ll Be There”
“I’ll Be There” marked the first big screen team-up of real-life father-and-daughter Gabby and KC Concepcion, who play estranged characters Poch and Maxi respectively. Maxi hopes to pay off her debts by selling the piece of land that her parents co-owned, which meant she needed to spend time with her dad whom she hates. The film also stars Jericho Rosales as Maxi’s childhood friend Tommy.
“Isusumbong Kita sa Tatay Ko”
The first Filipino film to break the P100-million box-office gross, “Isusumbong Kita sa Tatay Ko” saw the iconic pair-up of the late Fernando Poe Jr. and Judy Ann Santos as father-and-daughter Badong and Joey, who are living together happily. Complications arise, however, when Badong’s friend Beth (Aileen Damiles) returns, prompting Joey to feel threatened by her relationship with her father.
“Daddy O! Baby O!”
In the comedy-drama “Daddy O! Baby O!,” Mario (Dolphy) is the struggling stepdad of Ana (Serena Dalrymple), whom his friend entrusts to his care after his death. Ana, despite her charming looks, is cunning and in search of her mother. When things start to get better, Mario eventually finds himself enveloped in great sadness as his parenthood to Ana reaches an end.
In addition to these four films, here are other Father’s Day movie offerings from Cinema One:
- “Binata Pa ang Daddy Ko,” starring Eddie Rodriguez and Niño Muhlach
- “Daddy’s Angel” starring Jayvee Gayoso, Patricia Ann Roque, and Alma Concepcion
- “Northern Lights: A Journey to Love” starring Piolo Pascual
- “Seven Sundays” starring Aga Muhlach, Dingdong Dantes, Christine Reyes, Enrique Gil and Ronaldo Valdez
- “Just the 3 of Us” starring Jennylyn Mercado and John Lloyd Cruz
- “Biyudo si Daddy, Biyuda si Mommy” starring Vic Sotto and Coney Reyes
- “Wanted: Perfect Father” starring Dawn Zulueta, Dolphy and Edu Manzano
- “Tong Tatlong Tatay Kong Pakitong-Kitong” starring Serena Dalrymple. Babalu, Redford White, and Bonnel Balingit