Film on Moro struggle reaps top honor
MANILA, Philippines -- Nora Aunor and Jericho Rosales won top honors at the 36th edition of Gawad Urian Awards Tuesday night, with a film discussing the Moro struggle in Mindanao named as the year's best film by the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino (MPP).
Nora Aunor receives her Best Actress award for her role as a Badjao midwife in "Thy Womb." Photo by Marie Lozano, ABS-CBN News
Held at the NBC Tent in Bonifacio Global City, the 2013 Gawad Urian paid tribute to the local independent film industry, with the internationally acclaimed film "Thy Womb" once again earning trophies for Aunor as Best Actress, and director Brillante Mendoza for Best Production Design.
The human-trafficking-centric film "Alagwa", which has been recognized by film festivals abroad, won the Best Actor award for Rosales.
Named Best Supporting Actress and Best Supporting Actor, respectively, were Alessandra de Rossi for her role in Emmanuel Quindo Palo's "Sta. Niña," and Art Acuña for his part in another Cinemalaya film, Lawrence Fajardo's "Posas."
An entry to the 2012 Cinema One Originals film festival, Arnel Mardoquio's "Ang Paglalakbay ng mga Bituin sa Gabing Madilim" was recognized as Best Film.
With Mardoquio behind the screenplay and editing, the film explores the different facets of the conflict involving the Moro people in Mindanao.
It focuses on a 9-year-old boy seeking revenge on those who murdered his parents.
Adolfo Alix, Jr., who was cited for a crime family story as told in his film "Mater Dolorosa," won the Best Director award.
This year, the MPP conferred its Special Award for Film, the Natatanging Gawad Urian Award, on veteran actress Mila del Sol, whose career spans over 50 years.
The 36th Gawad Urian Awards night will be shown on Cinema One on June 22 at 3 p.m. and 11 p.m., June 23 at 10 p.m., and June 26 at 7 p.m.
Here is the full list of winners at the 39th Gawad Urian:
- Best Documentary: "Harana" by Benito Bautista
- Best Short Film: "Ritmo" by Remton Siega Zuasola
- Best Sound: Willy Fernandez, Bong Sungcang, Ferdinand Marcos Sabarongis - "Florentina Hubaldo"
- Best Music: Diwa de Leon - "Baybayin"
- Best Editing: Aleks Castaneda - "Kalayaan"
- Best Production Design: Brillante Mendoza - "Thy Womb"
- Best Cinematography: Whammy Alcazaren - "Colossal"
- Best Screenplay: Mes de Guzman - "Diablo"
- Best Director: Adolfo Alix, Jr. - "Mater Dolorosa"
- Best Supporting Actress: Alessandra de Rossi - "Sta Nina"
- Best Supporting Actor: Art Acuña - "Posas"
- Best Actor: Jericho Rosales - "Alagwa"
- Best Actress: Nora Aunor - "Thy Womb"
- Best Film: "Ang Paglalakbay ng mga Bituin sa Gabing Madilim" by Arnel Mardoquio
- Special Award for Film - Natatanging Gawad Urian (Lifetime Achievement Award): Mila del Sol