MANILA – The daughter of Christopher de Leon took to social media to clarify that the actor was not among those who did not follow the Department of Health protocol on COVID-19 that only the elderly and symptomatic patients may be swabbed due to the lack of kits in the country.
In a series of tweets on Monday, Mariel de Leon said her father had to line up and wait for hours before he got swabbed.
“My dad works a lot (events, tapings, shooting) so he’s always exposed to many people. Before he got tested, he was sick and decided to quarantine himself in the house,” she said.
“After it persisted, he decided to go to the doctors to take the test. Like everyone else there, he had to wait hours in line because they ran out of tests that morning/afternoon so they had to wait longer,” she added.
Mariel pointed out that her father “was more worried for my mom because she is a kidney transplant patient (among other health issues).”
She also mentioned that her parents live with other elders including her grandmother.
Reminding everyone to always verify things first, Mariel said: “Maybe don’t assume things without confirming first? I never read news or anything about my family because (most of the time) they don’t even contact us to confirm details. So I don’t know what they’re saying.”
The award-winning actor announced last Tuesday that he tested positive for COVID-19, amid a pandemic that has put the Philippines under a state of calamity and the entire Luzon in lockdown.
The 63-year-old screen veteran asked those who have "come in contact me within the last week or two to observe stringent self-quarantine, observe for symptoms and follow the triage procedures published by the DOH, whether asymptomatic or not."
Christopher is currently part of the ABS-CBN afternoon drama "Love Thy Woman." While the series continues to air episodes it has so far taped, it is one of the ABS-CBN programs that have indefinitely halted production due to COVID-19.