MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte "offered" China to become the third telecommunications operator in the Philippines, his spokesman said Monday.
Duterte made the proposal to Chinese Premier Li Keqiang during a meeting in Malacañang last Nov. 15, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque told reporters.
"China has the capital and the technology to provide efficient telecoms service," Roque said, adding there was "no doubt that they are among the biggest in the world."
Roque said the President "offered to China the privilege to operate the third telecoms carrier in the country," during his meeting with Li.
Any such investment from China will need to comply with the Constitution, Roque said.
PLDT Inc and Globe Telecom are the 2 major carriers in the country.
San Miguel Corp sold its telecommunications assets to the 2 giants last year and abandoned its plan to set up a third player.