Labor dept eyes dialogue with Regent Foods for release of jailed workers

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 18 2019 06:56 PM

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III at the Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) Migrants Day event by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration at the Palacio del Manila function room on June 05, 2019. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) is considering the request of Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto to help get workers of Regent Foods Corp. released after they were arrested during a strike this month, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said on Monday.

Sotto in his Facebook page revealed that he had already asked Regent Foods Corp. to drop the charges against 23 workers who were arrested during a strike last Nov. 9.

As of Nov. 17, 12 of the 23 have posted bail, Sotto said.

"My understanding is that Mayor Sotto is requesting that the striking workers be released. I am seriously considering granting the request of the Mayor by way of talking to Regent Foods management to agree to the release of said workers for the sake of industrial peace," Bello said in a statement.

Labor groups, meanwhile, welcomed Sotto's support for the workers.