NTC denies Sear, PT&T appeals vs Mislatel

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 13 2018 07:48 AM | Updated as of Nov 13 2018 12:04 PM

Regulators sift through bid documents for the Philippines third telco slot on Nov. 7, 2018. The NTC has denied the losing bidders' appeal to revoke the win of Mislatel. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- The National Telecommunications Commission has denied Tuesday the appeals of a consortium that includes former Ilocos Sur Governor Luis "Chavit" Singson, and the Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Corp. (PT&T) to revoke the award of third telco rights to the joint venture of China Telecom and Davao tycoon Dennis Uy.

The 2 companies that lost to Uy's Mislatel in the bidding last week will be given until Thursday to appeal the decision, NTC Deputy Commissioner Eduardo Cabarios told reporters.

The NTC will then have 3 calendar days to resolve those appeals, Cabarios said.

Each appeal will cost P10 million, he said.

Watch more in iWantTFC

Singson's Sear consortium released a statement calling the regulator's denial of its appeal as "rushed and myopic."

PT&T is still studying options on how it will proceed following the denial of the motion for reconsideration, the company said in a disclosure to the exchange.

Mislatel last week won the rights to mount a challenge against PLDT Inc and Globe Telecom after Sear and Philippine Telegraph and Telephone Corp or PT&T were disqualified from bidding for failure to meet some requirements.

A copy of the decision was delivered to Sear late Monday. The NTC or Department of Information and Communications Technology officer-in-charge Eliseo Rio are expected to discuss it with reporters on Tuesday.

Mislatel said over the weekend that the franchise it secured was "unquestionably valid and subsisting." It added that it had no contract with Tier1, a Sear consortium member.

Sear responded, saying Mislatel "unilaterally terminated" its contract with Tier1 unit DigiPhil.