Third telco search attracts 5 bidders so far

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 09 2018 08:05 AM | Updated as of Oct 09 2018 08:06 AM

Watch more in iWantTFC

MANILA - Five companies have acquired bid documents after the government opened its selection process for the country's third major telecommunications company, the Department of Information and Communications Technology said Tuesday. 

Among those that bought bid documents worth P1 million was a consortium that includes a firm headed by former Ilocos Sur Governor Chavit Singson and a Davao-based internet service provider, said DICT Secretary Eliseo Rio. 

Also among the bidders were businessman Dennis Uy’s Udenna Corp, Mel Velarde's NOW Corp, Norwegian telecom operator Telenor and another firm that was not named by its representatives, he told DZMM.

Foreign firms need to secure local partners since the Constitution caps their ownership of Filipino firms at 40 percent. Telenor has yet to partner with a Filipino company, said Rio. 

One or 2 more firms are expected to buy bid documents this week, he said.

Interested parties will be given until November to submit their bid. The new player is expected to be identified by December and start offering its services by mid-2019, said Rio. 

President Rodrigo Duterte sought the entry of a third player citing poor service of current players.