MANILA -- The government has allocated P46 million for emergency jobs for those affected by typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut), including opportunities in infrastructure, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said Thursday.
The emergency employment can last for 10-20 days and workers get paid minimum wage, Bello told DZMM.
Ompong, the strongest storm so far this year, swept through vast swaths of Luzon on Sept. 15, flooding farmlands and triggering landslides that left dozens killed.
"Job opportunity ang iniisip namin para sa kanila kasi 'yung mga skilled workers marami dyan baka magagamit natin sa mga Build, Build, Build projects ng DPWH," Belo said.
(We are looking at job opportunities for them, the skilled workers can go to build build build projects of the Department of Public Works and Hinghways.)
Funds were also allotted for returning Overseas Filipino Workers, whose families were affected by the typhoon, he said.