MANILA -- China's Xiamen Airlines will be fined P33 million over the nearly 2-day shutdown of the Philippine capital's main air terminal due to one of its jets, an airport official said Wednesday.
The Boeing 737 overshot the runway, forcing its closure from evening of Aug. 16 to noon of Aug. 18. Senators opened their investigation on the incident on Wednesday.
The fine includes recovery fees and opportunity losses, Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Ed Monreal said. Officials earlier announced a P15 million fine against the Chinese carrier.
Also included are take off and landing losses, parking costs and staff overtime, Monreal told ABS-CBN News. The bill will be sent to Xiamen Airines next week, pending the completion of computations, he said.
Xiamen Airlines continues to operate in the Philippines. The pilot of the damaged plane left the country earlier this week, said Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines Director General Jim Sydiongco.
Lin Huagun, Xiamen Airlines country manager, through an interpreter, apologized for the inconvenience caused by the incident.