Despite court halt, EDSA provincial bus ban dry run to push through Aug. 7: MMDA

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 06 2019 05:53 PM | Updated as of Aug 06 2019 05:56 PM

Commuters walk along EDSA going to Kamuning in Quezon City as early morning traffic grinds to a crawl on Tuesday. The Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) recently ordered transport regulators to stop implementing the provincial bus ban along EDSA. Aug. 6, 2019. Jire Carreon, ABS-CBN News


MANILA – The proposed dry-run of the ban on provincial buses on EDSA will push through on Aug. 7, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said Tuesday, despite a halt order issued by a Quezon City court.

The country’s traffic management agency has yet to receive a copy of the writ of preliminary injunction the court issued last week so the trial run Wednesday will proceed, MMDA spokesperson Celine Pialago told reporters in a viber message. 

Although "all" operators have agreed to participate, “it’s okay” if others will choose not to, she said. 

“Since we haven’t received the Writ of PI (preliminary injunction), we will push through with the dry run,” Pialago said. 

“May mga nag-volunteer (Some volunteered) that they drop-off passengers in the interim and we are glad if they do so... para sa hindi magpaparticipate (to those who won't participate), it’s okay,” she added. 

In an order dated July 31, Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 223 Judge Caridad Walse-Lutero granted the plea of the Nagkakaisang Samahan ng Nangangasiwa ng Panlalawigang Bus sa Pilipinas Inc. and 16 other bus operators to halt the implementation of Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) Memorandum Circular No. 2019-001 and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Regulation No. 19-002.

The LTFRB order bars provincial buses from passing through EDSA and requires them to stop at designated endpoints, while the MMDA regulation prohibits the issuance of business permits or revokes those already issued to provincial bus terminals along EDSA.

The move was meant to ease traffic congestion in Metro Manila, with both agencies claiming the orders were an exercise of police power for public welfare.