MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte has signed the Philippine Innovation Act which aims to help micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) become part of the global market.
Republic Act No. 11293, signed on April 17, aims to remove obstacles to innovation by “suppressing bureaucratic hurdles,” and encourage the entrepreneurial attitude to stimulate growth of local businesses.
To achieve the country’s innovation goals, the law requires the government to have technology programs, innovation centers, innovation networks, technology platforms, cluster policies, and human capacity-building programs.
The new measure also forms the National Innovation Council (NIC), which is tasked to develop the country’s innovation goals and priorities.
It will be chaired by the President and vice-chaired by the National Economic and Development Authority Director-General. Other Cabinet members such as the secretaries of trade and industry, science and technology, transportation, health, energy, and national defense are also included in the NIC.
The NIC is required to develop a National Innovation Agenda and Strategy Document which will “establish the country’s vision and long-term goals for innovation.” The document will also serve as a roadmap for improving innovation governance.
Under the new law, the following must be considered in identifying areas for innovation: (please put in bullets)
- Food security and sustainable agriculture
- The ‘Blue Economy’ or ocean resources
- Education and the academe
- Secure, clean and reliable energy
- Climate change and disaster resilience
- Resource efficiencies
- National and community-based comparative advantages in the context of global value chains
- Comparative strengths and advantages of sectors and communities
- Potentials for innovation of traditional knowledge, traditional cultural expressions, and genetic resources
- Infrastructure needs
- Development of human capital
- Digital economy
- Transportation services
Failure to comply with any of the provisions of the new law will be ground for the filing of criminal and administrative cases.