MANILA, Philippines - Stradcom Corp., the IT service provider of the Land Transportation Office (LTO), filed before the Office of the Ombudsman corruption charges against LTO chief Virginia Torres in connection with the attempted takeover of the firm's facilities in Quezon City last year.
Stradcom officials, led by its president Cesar Quiambao, said Torres violated Section 3 of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act or R.A. 3019 for conspiring with the group claiming to be the new owner of the firm.
Quiambao said men working for businessmen Bonifacio Sumbilla and Aderito Yujuico stormed the Stradcom headquarters within the LTO main office on December 2 and 9 to wrestle control of its operations. The second attempt led to a six-hour disruption of LTO transactions.
Following the incident, the Department of Justice recommended the dismissal of Torres, who voluntarily took a leave of absence pending investigation.
Aside from Torres, Quiambao said they are suing 62 other personnel, including 32 security guards who participated in the failed takeover.
Quiambao, meanwhile, said they are disappointed with the reported impending return of Torres to office. However, he clarified the filing of the corruption case has nothing to do with this.
This is the second criminal complaint filed by Stradcom against the LTO chief.
In April, Stradcom sued Torres for graft after she refused to pay the firm nearly P1.2 billion for services rendered. - Report from RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News